A thick vegetable soup which is a delicious meal in itself. Server the soup with thin shavings of Parmesan and warm ciabatta bread.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinkly sliced
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 14-0z chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 14 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 8 oz spinach
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, thinkly shaved
- salt and pepper as needed
- crusty bread , to server
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add the sliced leeks and zucchini and cook over a medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, vegetable stock, and garbanzo beans. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer, stirring ocasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Shred the spinach finely, add to the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bay leaf. Pour into a soup tureen and sprinkle over the parmesan. Serve with crustly bread or bread of your choice.