Vermicelli Vegetable Upma (वेर्मिसल्ली वेजिटेबल उपमा, వెర్మిసెల్లి వెజిటేబుల్ ఉప్మా, વેર્મીચેલ્લી વેગતાબ્લે ઉપમા) Vermicelli is used in India widely for making sweets like kheer and as a Breakfast in the form of Upma and to make it healthy variety of vegetables are added which makes it nutritious , yummy , healthy , very eye pleasing . Upma is mostly prepared in southern India and as kichidi it is prepared in Northern India. It is mostly served with a dollop of ghee and a fresh squeeze of lemon.
Regional Dish: All parts of India
Cuisine Style: Andhra | Cooking Time 20 mins| Take it as such | Type Snack/ Break fast| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 2 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (200.8Kcals), Carbohydrates (39g), Protein (6.2g), Fat (3.5g).
- 2 cups Vermicelli (semiya )
- 1 Small Onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 Green chilies cut in to small pieces
- 1 Inch Ginger cut in to small pieces
- 1 cup Mixed vegetables (carrots finely and peas) Note: can use frozen one.
- 2 cups Water
- Salt to taste
- 1 Lemon
Tampering / tadka/ talimpu
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 1 Tbsp. channa dal
- 1 Tbsp. Urad dal
- 1 Tbsp. Broken cashew nuts pieces
- 2 tsp. Mustard
- ¼ tsp. of Turmeric
- Curry leaves 2 sprigs
- Take a pan boil 2 cups of water and to this add 1 tsp. of salt and the 2 cups of vermicelli and boil it for 2 minutes.( note see that they are firm , but done , do not overcook , if not the upma will be mushy.)
- After 2 minutes transfer the vermicelli in to a big bowl of cold water , than strain it and put on a plate and add 1 tsp. of oil and allow to cool.
- Also boil carrot and peas, (if using frozen vegetables than no need to boil)
- Now take another pan put the oil and all the ingredients in tampering, once they pop add green chili pieces , ginger , onion pieces and fry them for a minute, now add carrots, peas and boiled vermicelli, top with required amount of salt
- Give it a mix so that all the things get combined in the pan well, either we can serve like this or can squeeze fresh lemon and enjoy at any time.
Variations: Upma with vermicelli and rava together. Vermicelli biryani, Vermicelli kichidi, Vermicelli pulihora.