Vermicelli Rava Idli (सेंवई रवा इडली, సేమియా రవ్వ ఇడ్లీ, சேமியா இட்லி) This idli is a steamed recipe , appears like idli but the taste and texture are very different from normal idlis. This recipe can be made instantly , which can be enjoyed as it is prepared in no time with less preparation. As the ordinary Idlis these are also rich in calories and nutritious. These are also called instant idlis.
Regional Dish: Maharastra, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu
Cuisine Style: Maharastra | Cooking Time 60 mins | Take it as such/ chutney | Type Breakfast | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 2 nos )
Calories (180.1 Kcals), Carbohydrates (29.8 g), Protein (2.8), Fat (1.2g).
- Semolina/Rava: 1 cup
- Vermicelli: 1 cup
- Buttermilk: 2 cups ( or 1 cup curds mixed with 1 cup water)
- Salt: According to taste
- Grated coconut: 1 tbsp
- Baking soda or Eno’s fruit salt: 1/4 tsp
- For tempering:
- Oil: 1 tbsp
- Cashew nuts: 2 tbsp (broken)
- Channa dal: 1 tbsp (optional)
- Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves: 8-10
- Dry roast the semolina, vermicelli separately until light brown & allow them to cool.
- Mix together semolina, vermicelli, buttermilk, grated coconut.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a small pan, when oil is hot, add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds splutter, add broken cashew nuts, channa dal & sauté until they turn golden brown. Add curry leaves & saute for 5-7secs or until curry leaves become crisp.
- Pour the tempering to the semolina-vermicelli mixture, mix well & keep the batter aside for 30mins.
- After 30mins, the semolina would have absorbed the buttermilk & the batter would have become dry. Add water & adjust the consistency of the batter (a little thicker than the normal idli batter).
- Finally add salt, baking soda to the batter, mix well & pour around 2 tbsp of batter to each idli mould & steam the idlis for 20 mins on medium heat.
- Serve it hot with a chutney or curry of your choice.
Notes:Ensure to use a little sour buttermilk to get spongy & soft idlis.
Add 1 cup water to 1 cup thick yogurt. Whisk well. 2 cups buttermilk is ready to be used. Keep it outside for 2 hours to make the buttermilk sour.
- Variations: Add other vegetables such as grated carrots, peas, beans , coriander.
- Can make it spicy by adding some grinded green chilies and ginger.
- Just make idli of vermicelli or rava