Vegetable samosa (ವೆಗೆತಬ್ಲೆ ಸಮೋಸ, కూరగాయల సమోసా, காய்கறி சமோசா, सब्जी समोसा) It is a favorite snack of kids, teens as well as adults. It is a popular food item, served in almost all parties. It is a triangular or tetrahedron-shaped pastry, stuffed with a spiced mixture of potatoes and peas.
Regional dish: Karnataka; North India, south India .
Cuisine Style: Karnataka | Preparation time 20 mins | Cooking time 20 mins | Type Snack |Take with tomato sauce| Shelf life 1 day| Quantity: 10 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional values: calculated for 1 serving (1nos)
Calories(85.0 kcal), Carbohydrates (11.0 g), Protein ( 3g), Fat(10g).
For the Dough :
- Maida 2 cups
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Salt 1/2 tbsp
- Baking Powder 2 pinches
- Ice cold water for mixing the dough
- Oil Enough to deep fry
For Masala :
- Onions 2
- Potatoes 1/4 kgs
- Carrot 2
- Peas 100 gms
- Beetroot 1 small
- French beans 7
- Salt As required
- Gamram Masala powder 1/2 tsp
- Dry mango powder 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies 4
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder 1/2 tsp
- Oil for frying.
- Sieve maida twice with baking powder and salt.
- Blend oil to flour with hands till it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle cold water and knead to a stiff dough.
- Knead well for several minutes till the dough becomes elastic and pliable.
- Keep under wet cloth for 1/2 an hour.
- Cut onions lengthwise and other vegetables to small pieces.
- Pressure cook potatoes. Peel and mash coarsely.
- Steam other vegetables without adding water.
- Mince green chillies.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, Add cumin powder, minced green chilles and then onion.
- Fry till crisp. Add other vegetables and stir till moisture evaporates.
- Add other powdered spices and remove from fire.
Preperation of samosa:
- Divide the dough into 8 balls.
- Roll out each ball into very thin chappathi using maida for dusting.
- Apply 1 teaspoon of oil on one chappathi and dust little maida on top.
- Keep second chappathi on top. Prepare in the same manner so that 4 chappathis are in one pile.
- Roll lightly on top. Make rest of the dough in the same manner.
- Heat a tawa and place one pile of chappathis on top.
- Gently turn over when it starts to bubble up.
- After turning peel off the first layer.
- Every time after turning over peel off top chappathi, so that all the chappathis are roased on one side only.
- Cut each chappathi into 2 1/2 inch width strips like ribbon, Keep covered under wet cloth each time.
- Make a paste of maida by mixing it with just enough water (2 tbsp of maida).
- Take one strip and make triangular pocket at one end, like a cone.
- Seal the overlapping portion with maida paste (shaded part shown in figure).
- Keep little masala inside the pocket.
- Flod and roll the strip in such a way that it remains in triangular shape.
- At the end of overlapping seal with maida paste.
- Prepare all the samosas and keep under a wet muslin cloth till the time of deep frying.
- Deep fry few samosas at a time in hot oil (in reduced flame) till crisp and brown. Serve with tomato ketchup.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: 1. Aloo samosa