Vegetable Dum Biriyani (వెజెటబుల్ దం బిరియాని, காய்கறி டும் பிரியாணி, वेजेटबुल दम बिरियानी) Dum biryani is traditionally made in layers – rice, vegetable & garnish. So, it is as simple as that. The term dum defines a particular style of cooking a covered dish on low heat for a long duration. As the name suggests this is a biryani made for people who love eating vegetarian food, this is the specialty( delicacy) of Hyderabad as it came from the kitchen’s of Nizam’s who ruled in Hyderabad.It is now popular all over world.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Kerala; Karnataka; Uttar Pradesh; Punjab; Himachal Pradesh; Rajasthan; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 40 minutes | Take it with Raita, vegetable gravy | Type Lunch, Dinner| Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1 cup)
Calories (262 Kcal), Carbohydrates (57 g), Protein (6 g), Fat (1 g).
- Basmati Rice 2 cups
- Vegetables 2 cups chopped (carrot beans peas potato cauliflower)
- Onion 1 big, chopped
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Yogurt 1 cup
- Cilantro leaves 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves few
- Mint leaves 1/2 cup
- Milk 1/4 cup
- Saffron few strands
- Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 +1/2 tsp
- Bay leaf 1
- Cloves 3 or 4, crushed
- Cardamom 3 or 4, crushed
- Cinnamon 1/2 inch stick
- Fennel seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts few
- Raisins few
- Almonds few, sliced
- Fried onions ( to garnish)
- Salt as required
- Oil 4 tbsp
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Cook rice and spread it on a plate.
- Add few drops of oil/ghee and mix well so that the grains do not stick together.
- Let it cool. Heat few drops of ghee in a pan, add turmeric powder and pour this over the rice and mix it lightly (should be like a mixture of yellow and white colour).
- Steam cook vegetables until just done. To a cup of yogurt, add chopped cilantro leaves, curry leaves and mint leaves.
- Warm milk in a separate bowl and add saffron.
- Heat little ghee in a pan, add the cashews, almonds and raisins and fry until light brown,take it out and set aside.
- In the same pan, add remaining ghee and oil, to this add bay leaf, fennel, cumin, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon and fry for a while.
- Add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste and fry until onion turns light brown.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder and saute until raw smell leaves.
- Add the steamed vegetables, salt and mix well. Add the yogurt mix and little water and cook until it starts to thicken.
- A.Now, in a baking tray, layer vegetables and rice alternatively, starting with vegetables and ending with rice.On the top layer of the rice, pour the saffron soaked in milk.Cover with a lid or foil and seal tightly. Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit in a pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes.Take it out.
- A.To prepare the same procedure on stove., take a wide thick bottom pan , layer rice and vegetables and on top layer of rice pour the saffron soaked milk and place the lid of correct size and seal the pan with lid with aluminum foil or with wheat /mida dough and put it on low flame for 30 mins.
- Let it cool a bit. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fried nuts, raisins, fried onions and finely chopped coriander leaves .
- Serve hot with chips , lemon wedges, finely chopped raw onions and Raita.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Vegetable Biriyani 2. Kofta vegetable biriyani.3. Paneer biriyani 4. Soya chunks biriyani, 5.tofu with mixed vegetables biriyani, 6. dum vegetable biriyani granished with roasted bread pieces