Vankaya vadiyala kura (వంకాయ వడియల కూర, बैंगन और मूंग वाड़ी करी) This curry is prepared in Andhra Pradesh, all through people prepared different types of sun dried products and stack them up so that they enjoy them all through the coming year. In this process this recipe evolved , apart using them as a side in dals, they are also used in preparing curries , one among them is this which is enjoyed a lot during summer and in winters. This a twist to routine brinjal curry. This recipe is also prepared in other parts of India such as gujarat, punjab as its called as Moong wadi brinjal curry.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life: 1 days| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (45Kcals), Carbohydrates (6.5g), Protein (1.2g), Fat (2g).
- Baby Brinjals 5 no’s (eggplants)
- Garlic 1 Clove
- Dried vadiyalu 1/4 Cup (Moong or urad Wadi)
- Red Chile Powder 1/2 tsp.
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Water 1/4 cup
For Tampering/ talimpu/ tadka
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp.
- Urad Dal 1/4 tsp.
- Broken Dried Red chilies 2
- Asafoetida a pinch
- Curry Leaves 5 no’s
- Oil 2 Tbsp.
- Remove stems, wash and chop the eggplant into big chunks.
- Soak the eggplant in water mixed with turmeric powder to avoid oxidation.
- Peel and mash the garlic clove.
- Heat oil in a pan, add sun dried vadiyalu and deep fry them on low flame till they turn golden color and crisp. Remove them from oil and keep a side
- Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a pan; add all tampering ingredients in order. When mustard seeds start spluttering, add garlic, chopped eggplant and salt.
- Stir for few seconds; add red chili powder and 1/4 cup of water.
- Cook covered on low flame till eggplant is soft.
- Stir in deep fried sun dried vadiyalu and cook covered for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Serve this curry with plain steamed rice or with roti or chapati.
- Notes: Make sure to cook the eggplant well.
- If eggplant tends to stick to bottom of the pan, stir occasionally and add a splash of water if required.
- Garnish with finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
Variations: Vadiyalu tomato kura, Vadiyalu vankaya pulusu , moong wadi with dahi kadi