Vankaya pulusu (వంకాయ పులుసు, கத்தரிக்காய் புலுசு , बैंगन सब्जी) is atypical Andhra receipe. You can make such kind of pulusulu even with other vegetables like drumsticks, sorakaya(gourd), bhendi etc.
Regional dish : Andhra pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with Rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day.
Appx.Nutrition values calculated for whole recipe:
Calories (130 Kcal), Carbohydrates (17g), Protein (0.2g), Fat( 1.5g).
- Brinjals 4
- Onion 1
- Green chillies 4
- Tamrind soaked in 1 cup water
- Little turmeric
- Chilli powder 1/2 spoon
- Salt according to your taste
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli 1 broken in to pieces
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Hing a pinch
- Oil 2 tbs
1. Cut onions into small pieces and slit green chillies vertically.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin , mustard, hing, curry leaves , red chilli, once they pop up add the cut onions and chillies.
3. When the onions turn brown add the brinjal pieces , turmeric.
4. After frying them for 2 minutes add 1/4 cup water.
5. When the water boils add the tamarind water,salt,turmeric and chilli powder.
6. Now close the pan with a lid and allow it to cook until the brinjal pieces become soft.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: 1.Vankaya pachi pulusu , 2 . Add 1 tomato, 3. Add some jaggery, 4. mix with some other vegetables such as bottle gourd , pumpkin , sweet potato, drumstick , 5. Add some sambar powder for that extra spice.