Vankaya Panasa Ginjala Kura (వంకాయ పనస గింజల కూర , बैंगन कटहल के बीज की करी, கத்திரிக்காய் மற்றும் பலா பழ விதைகள் கறி) is very special in coastal regions in South India, in this the main ingredient jackfruit seeds are used to combination with other locally available vegetables and are also prepared as such. The seeds are rich in nutrients. This curry can be enjoyed with rice.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Goa
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 30 mins | take it with rice | Curry |Quantity 2 servings| Shelf Life: 1day
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving
Calories (250Kcal), Carbohydrates (30.3 g), Protein (3 g), Fat (1.2g).
- Vankaya / Eggplant 4 medium size chopped to bite size.
- Panasa ginjalu / Jackfruit seeds 1 cup
- Tamarind paste 2 Tbsp.
- Green chili paste 1 tsp.
- Ginger paste 1 tsp.
- Split chickpeas/ Channa dal 1 Tbsp.
- Red chilli 1 broken in to 4 pieces
- Mustard Seeds 1tsp.
- Asafoetida /Hing ¼ tsp.
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp.
- Curry leaves 4 nos.
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsp. finely chopped
- Salt as needed
- Oil 2 Tbsp.
- Pressure cook jackfruit seeds for 2 whistles with some salt, once cooked peel the outer white hard skin and cut in to desired size and set aside.
- Take a wide pan add oil, once oil gets hot add channa dal, red chili pieces, mustard, hing and give a nice mix.
- Once the seasoning starts to pop add green chili and ginger paste, curry leaves, turmeric and sauté for 1 minute till the rawness of green chili and ginger is gone.
- Now add eggplant pieces and some salt, cover and cook on medium heat till the eggplant gets cooked.
- To the above cooked eggplant add the boiled jackfruit pieces and tamarind paste and give a good mix, adjust to taste.
- Sprinkle some water, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 3 minutes till all the flavors get blended.
- Finally garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Variations: Add onion and tomato, Add peanut powder, Make gravy curry using fresh coconut , sesame seeds.