Vankaya Masala ( వంకాయ మసాల,கத்திரிக்காய் மசாலா ,बैंगन मसाला ) Vankaaya Masala (brinjal spices), since masala(spices) used in this recipe is the key for this tasty dish, of course Brinjal’s should be very tender and fresh once to get more taste and flavour to the dish.
Regional Dish: Maharastra; Andhra; Tamilnadu; South India, North India
Cuisine Style : Maharastra | Cooking Time 20 min | Take with rice or roti | Shelf Life : 1 day
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for whole recipe :
Calories (200 Kcal), Carbohydrates (21 g), Protein (4 g), Fat (13 g).
- Brinjal / Eggplant 1/4 kg
- Onions 2
- Ground nuts 1 cup
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut 2 tbsp
- Cloves 3 or 4
- Cinnamon stick 1″ piece
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Green chillies 1 or 2
- Dry red chilli 1
- Tamarind small lime size ball
- Turmeric Powder 1/4 tsp
- Grated Jaggery 1 tsp
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Salt to taste
1. Heat one teaspoon of oil in a frying pan.
2. Add and fry the ground nuts, coriander seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick and finally red chilli to golden brown color. Remove from the flame and allow it to cool. In the same pan, add one table spoon of oil and add the onion pieces, chopped green chillies and fry for 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Finally add the grated coconut and stir for a few minutes. Turn off the flame. When it cools down, add tamarind, grated jaggery, salt, fried ground nuts, ginger garlic paste, turmeric and grind into a smooth paste using little water.
4. Stuffing is ready. Keep it aside
5. Wash the brinjals and make a plus shape slit and stuff them with the stuffing paste. Heat oil a vessel and place the stuffed brinjals, remaining masala paste and one cup of water.
6. Mix well, cover with a lid. Let it cook completely.
7. Remove from the heat and serve hot with steamed rice.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Vankaya masala with out tamarind and jaggery.