Vankaya karam kura (వంకాయ కారం కూర, கத்தரிக்காய் கூர, बैंगन कारम कूरा) Vankaya karam kura is a traditional dish of Andhrapradesh.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra | Cooking Time 20minutes | Take with rice or roti | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigirated | Quantity 3 servings.
Appx.Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (190 Kcal), Carbohydrates (14 g), Protein (5 g), Fat (15 g).
- 5 Brinjals cut into halves and soaked in salt water
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 medium onions chopped (makes about 2 cups of chopped)
- 4 Green chillies (adjust)
- 2 tsps freshly grated coconut
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 4 tbsps cooking oil
- 1 tsp avalu (mustard seeds)
- ½ tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cooking oil
1. Heat 2 tbsps of oil in a pan and throw in the cumin seeds. Let them crackle, then add chopped onions, green chillies, salt and turmeric. Cook on medium flame till the onions turn soft and pink in color. Turn off the flame. Allow to cool. Grind along with coriander powder and freshly grated coconut.
2. Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsps of oil in a vessel, and on medium flame fry the brinjals stirring occassionaly till soft but not mushy and the edges start turning golden brown. Set aside (If you feel brinjals might take time to cook, parboil them in water for a while)
3. Add the ground paste to the fried brinjals, and gently mix in with ¼ cup of water. Let it cook on medium flame till the desired gravy consistency is reached. Adjust salt.
4. While the gravy cooks, take a pan, heat 1 tsp of oil, and fry avalu, jeera, curry leaves for few seconds till they crackle. Add this to the gravy and stir gently.
5. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice/rotis
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Vankaya karam kura (add ground nut for the paste).