Kalchina Vankaya Pachadi (Brinjal Chutney)(వంకాయ బండ పచ్చడి, बैंगन की चटनी), or Vankaya Pachadi or Thogayil as it is popularly called, is a recipe in Andhra Pradesh. The people of Andhra are so fond of freshly prepared chutney’s and spicy recipes which is the part of their everyday meal. For preparing this chutney roasted brinjal is used.
Regional dish: Andhra Pradesh; South India.
Cuisine style: Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with Rice or Chapati | Type Lunch | Shelf Life: 2 days if it refrigirated | Quantity : 5 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional values: calculated for 1serving (1Tbsp)
Calories( 25 Kcals),Carbohydrates (2.1g), Protein (0.9g), Fat (1.6g)
- Medium Brinjals 3 nos
- Onion finely chopped 1 nos
- Green chilles finely chopped 4 nos
- Tamarind paste 3 Tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves 1 Tbsp
- Few curry leaves
- Salt for taste
- For seasoning –
- Oil 2 Tbsp
- Dry red chillies 2nos
- Channa dal 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Pinch of hing (asefodetia)
- Pinch of turmeric
- On stove top: Clean and pat dry the brinjals. Brush them with oil and roast it on a stove top ( gas) over medium heat. Keep turning the brinjals, until fully roasted. When the skin of the brinjal is fully charred, that means the brinjal is fully roasted. Once done, sprinkle some cold water and let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Once it is cooled down peel off the charred skin. Mash the flesh and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a small kadai. Add channa dal, urad dal, methi seeds, red chillies and fry over medium heat until the dals turn light golden brown. Now add mustard seeds, hing and fry for couple of minutes and remove from heat. Keep this seasoning aside.
- In the same kadai heat the remaning oil. Add curry leaves, chopped onions and turmeric and fry for few minutes. Just to remove the raw smell of onion.
- In a pestle add the fried seasoning and pound it coarsely. Now add the mashed brinjals, tamarind paste, salt, green chillies , chopped coriander leaves and pound all together well. Adjust the seasoning, add the onion mixture and mix well. Remove it into to serving bowl. This can be served as a side dish with rice or roti and also can be served as a dip.
- If once need some sweet , we can add 1 tbps of jaggery too.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Fry Brinjal tamato chutney.