Vegetable Upma (కూరగాయల ఉప్మా, ಕಾಯಿಪಲ್ಯ ಉಪ್ಮ, காய்கறி உப்புமா, सब्ज़ी उप्मा) is a South Indian Breakfast item made from refined wheat called as bombay rava/grits/sooji. There are many variations of upma made with different base ingredient like Rava Upma, Puli Upma, Arisi Upma and Bread Upma ,poha umpa to name a few.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; Kerala; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra pradesh | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with Chutney | Type Snack | Shelf Life : half day| Quantity : 3Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1serving (1cup)
Calories (512 Kcal), Carbohydrates (70 g), Protein (14 g), Fat (15 g).
- Rava 1 cup
- Onion 1 (lengthwise chopped)
- Vegetables 1 cup (carrot, beans, peas)
- Green chillies 2 pcs diced
- Ginger (minced) 1 pcs
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Water 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Ghee 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Urad dal 1 tsp
- Chana dal 1 tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Cashew nuts 10
1. Take a kadai and dry roast the rava till golden brown colour.
2. Remove from heat and keep it aside.
3. Heat a vessel with ghee.
4. Add mustard seeds.
5. When they start to crackle add urad dal, chana dal, cashew nuts.
6. Saut’e till they turn into golden yellow colour.
7. Add curry leaves, onion, vegetables, green chillies and minced ginger.
8. Add salt and close with a lid.
9. Cook on low medium flame and in-between stir well.
10. Cook till the vegetables become tender.
11. Now add 2 cups of water and close with a lid.
12. When the water starts to boiling add rava and keep stirring for 2 mins.(Add rava slowly in continuous flow while stirring).
13. Again close with a lid and cook for 5 mins.
14. Finally add 2 tsp of ghee .
15. Now rava upma is ready to eat.
16. Serve hot with coconut chutney / mango/lemon pickle or can squeeze a fresh lemon on top .
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Rava upma 2. Puli upma.