Undrallu (ఉండ్రాళ్ళు, கொழுக்கட்டை, मोदक)is a savoury steamed rice ball, which is offered as a neivedyam during Ganesh Chaturthi.
These taste like upma made with rice rawa. Undrallu is an Andhra name for these steamed rice balls. Undrallu goes well with ginger chutney, When offering to Lord Ganesha.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; Maharashtra; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 40 minutes | Take with Ginger Chutney | Type Snack | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity: 3 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for one serving ( 3 nos)
Calories (250 Kcal), Carbohydrates (20 g), Protein (1 g), Fat (1 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Rice 1 cup
- Chana Dal, washed 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds / Jeera 1/2 tsp
- Grated fresh coconut 1/2 tsp. ( optional)
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Oil 1 tbsp.
- Water 2 cups
- Wash rice well and drain all the water.
- Spread on a paper napkin to dry out all the water.
- Rice grains have to be fully dry. It could take about one hour or so.
- Grind the rice grains in a blender/ grinder to a rava consistency.
- Place a saucepan on the stove with water, chana dal, cumin and salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a medium heat, add oil and pour in the rice rava slowly into the boiling water and keep stirring. Stir till all the water is absorbed by the rice rava.
- Add grated coconut and stir in well. Turn off the stove, cover with a lid.
- After 15 minutes, spread on a lightly greased plate. With wet hands make small balls.
- Sprinkle some water if rava is too hard or breaking.
- Use a idly steaming stand to steam these rice balls.
- Place idly stand in a pressure cooker with little water to steam.
- Cover the pressure cooker with lid and steam for 10 minutes with out whistle.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Pala Undrallu 2. Brown Rice Undrallu.