Ulava Chaaru (ఉలవ చారు, கொள்ளு சாரு, गाहाट रसम) is a fine delicacy from the state of Andhra Pradesh, India. This particular dish is very popular among the Guntur and Krishna districts . . In Telugu language, spoken locally, Ulava (singular)/ Ulavalu (plural) . It is a local delicacy which telugu people crave for, it is spicy , tangy and earthy which is taken with rice , with butter and some times with heavy cream.
Regional dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; Kerala; Karnataka.
Cuisine style : Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with rice | Type Soup| Shelf time 2 days if it is refrigirated | Quantity : 5 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (2table spoons)
Calories (40K cals) , Carbohydrates (15g) , Protein(4g), fat(2g)
- Horse gram 250 gm
- Oil 2tbsp
- Tomatoes 1 finely chopped
- Onions 1 sliced thin / pearl onions 4/ baby onions 4
- Green chillies chopped 3 nos
- Red chilli powder as for taste
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies 2 nos
- Curry leaves 10 nos
- Tamarindpulp 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Garlic 2 cloves
- Turmeric a pinch
- Rinse horsegram well and pressure cook to soft consistency with 2 liters of water.
- Drain the water and keep a side , take half of cooked horsegram and grind it to a fine paste and keep it aside too and discard the rest of horsegram.
- In a pan add oil , to this add cuminseeds , mustardseeds and redchillies and wait till they pop
- Now add the cut onions , green chillies, tomatoes , curry leaves and garlic mix well once these become soft add the horsegram water and paste , salt , chilli powder, turmeric and tamarind pulp cook on low flame till the liquid becomes thick.
- Serve with rice and side with butter or cream.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.