Uggani (ఉగ్గని) is an amazing dish made from a puffed rice /Borugulu. This is a popular snack item in some parts of Andhra Pradesh. It is also sold on streets and is served with spicy green chilies, mirchi bajji.It can be enjoyed at any time, snack, light lunch or dinner with the whole family.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as such | Type Sanck| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (130Kcal), Carbohydrates (18g), Protein (2g), Fat (3g)
· Puffed Rice /Borugulu – 1 large bowl
· Onion – 1 (Chopped)
· Green chilies – 4 or 5 (slit lengthwise) or you can also make paste
· Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp.
· Curry Leaves – few
· Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp.
· Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp.
· Oil – 2 tbsp.
· Salt to taste
· Roasted chickpea powder (putnala pappu podi) – 1 tbsp.
· 1 lemon juice
· Roasted peanuts – 2 tbsp.
· Coriander leaves to garnish
1. First grind fried roasted chickpea / Putnala pappu into fine powder.
2. Take a big bowl fill half of it with water add the puffed rice in water and soak it for about 5 minutes. Because of lightweight, they will float. Using your hands push them down for few seconds. Let them soak in water. After 5 minutes, remove them from water ,squeeze away the water by taking a handful of soaked puffed rice each time. Remove them all from water in this way and put them in another bowl. Don’t keep it for long as it becomes very soft and uggani will not be perfect.
3. Once you have removed all the water, add the roasted chickpea powder and salt. Mix well. Keep it aside.
4. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds. When they splutter add cumin seeds, curry leaves, turmeric, chopped onion, slit green chillies. Fry for sometime till onion become transparant. Then add roasted peanuts, puffed rice, and mix well. Keep it on low flame for 5-8 mins, before removing, add lemon juice and mix well then garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
5. Uggani is ready to serve. This is best served with Mirapakaya Bajji or It can also be eaten by itself.
Variations: Add tomato. Add chili powder. Add garam masala powder. Add chaat masala powder. Add ginger garlic paste. Add red chilies.