Tomato pickle (టమాటో ఉరగాయ, தமடோ பிக்களே, टमाटर अचार) Tomato Pickle is a very popular recipe. It is easy to make all through the year , which can be had as such or with rice or as a chutney with breakfast items.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Preperation Time 25 minutes | Take it with curd rice | Type Pickle | Shelf Life : 2 months| Quantity : 50 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for i serving (1tbsp)
Calories (31 Kcal), Carbohydrates (2 g ), Protein (1 g), Fat (3 g).
- 2 kg tomatoes, wash them throughly ,pat dry with a cloth and slice them horizontally.
- 50 gms tamarind
- 1/2 tsp turmeric pwd
- 3 tbsps red chilli pwd (as per once taste)
- 1 tsp dry roasted fenugreek pwd
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds, dry roast till they splutter, cool and make pwd
- 3 tbsps salt (as per once taste)
- 10-12 peeled and crushed garlic cloves
- 10-12 fresh curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3 dry red chillis
- 5-6 tbsps oil
- Slice each tomato horizontally and add salt and turmeric powder , mix well and cover with lid, let it reast aside overnight.
- Next morning, water comes out of tomato pieces , squeeze out the tomato pieces and spread them over a cloth and sun dry. Sun dry the pieces till they are completely dry with no trace of rawness/water. This usually takes 3-4 days of good sunshine. Every evening, remove the cloth containing the tomato pieces, place indoors and next day again place back the cloth containing the tomato pieces to sun dry.
- Add tamarind to the liquid and allow to sun dry . This could take at least 4 days of good sunshine. The liquid will thicken. Every evening, remove the tomato liquid and place indoors, place back again the next day morning to sun dry along with tomatoe slices
- Once the tomatoes and liquid are sun-dried, combine the dried tomatoes pieces with the sun dried liquid and leave overnight, covered.
- Next morning, blend this to a slightly coarse paste. Add red chilli pwd, methi pwd, roasted mustard pwd and combine well.
- Heat oil in a vessel. It should not be too hot. Once hot, add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Add the fenugreek seeds, red chilies and fresh curry leaves and allow too saute for 15-20 secs on medium flame till the methi turns red. Do not burn it. Turn off flame and add the crushed garlic. Allow the seasoning to cool before combining with the tomato mixture.
- Cool and store in an airtight bottle, now the tomatoe pickle is ready to serve , it can be taken with rice , idli , dosa etc.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Tamato Thokku 2. Tamato uragaya 3. Sundried Tamato pickle 4. Tamato pickle with garlic.5.Tomato pickle with out garlic 6. Instant tomato pickle