Tomato Pappu (టొమాటో పప్పు, டொமாடோ பப்பு,टमाटर दाल) is an integral dish of every day Andhra vegetarian food. This dish is very simple, earthy and a soulful food.It is also prepared in variations in all household of India.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra| Cooking Time 30min| Take with Rice, roti, pongal| Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity: 6 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1/2 cup)
Calories (110.5 Kcals) , Carbohydrates (18g), Protein(5.8g), Fat (2.6g)
- Toor Dal / kandipappu 1 cup
- Water 2 & 1/2 rice cup
- Turmeric 1/2 tsp
- Tomatoes 4 chopped
- Chilli powder 1 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 3/4 th tsp
- Cumin seeds 3/4 th tsp
- Red chillies 4 no (split in to half)
- Curry leaves 1 sprig
- Garlic 3 no. (smashed and sliced)
- Asafoetida or Hing small pinch
- Chopped Tomatoes 3/4 th tin
- Salt to taste.
- Cook toor dal in pressure cooker until soft.
- Take a kadhai, heat oil in it. add mustard seeds when it is stopped poping add cumin seeds when it is starting to brown, add curry leaves, red chillies, garlic and fry, add hing and mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt, cook until mushy.
- Add cooked and mashed toor dal to the tomatoes and adjust salt , chilli powder and water and on low flame allow it to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice , ghee or rotis with some dahi.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Tamato pappu with moong dal.