Tomato Charu /Rasam (टमाटर रसम, టమోటా చారు/ రసం,தக்காளி ரசம், ಟೊಮೆಟೊ ರಸಂ)
This recipe is very much authentic and traditional to all south Indian’s, which is prepared every day.It is enjoyed in the beginning of a meal , or in between the meal after having any dal or spicy curry.
It helps in digestion as it is easily digested and also a good appetizer. With some variations it is prepared all over south India.It is enjoyed hot and with some poppadums.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh| Cooking Time 15 mins | Take it as such or rice | Type Soup | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1 cup )
Calories (15.2Kcals), Carbohydrates(3g), Protein(0.1g), Fat (0.9g)
- 1 tbsp. oil or butter
- 2 Big ripe Tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed ( if u doesn’t want to use garlic use ginger and hing)
- 2 cups of water
- 1tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. of mustard seeds
- 1 Dry red chili broken in to pieces
- 5 Curry leaves
- 1 tsp. of rasam powder (store bought or look at the end of this recipe )
- 1 Tbsp. chopped coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Place the tomatoes and 1 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl, and cook on High for 2 minutes in the microwave. Reserve the cooking water. Cool tomatoes slightly, peel, and discard skins. Process the tomatoes, reserved water, and garlic in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Melt the ghee in a pan over medium heat and when the butter is hot add cumin seeds, mustard seeds , chili, curry leaves .
- To the above mixture add the processed tomatoes and garlic into the skillet. Stir in remaining 1 cup water. Mix in rasam powder and salt as for once taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and mix in the cilantro. Continue cooking for 5 more minutes and take if off the heat.
- Serve warm as such or with hot plain rice and poppadums.
- Note: To have more tangy we can add 1 tbsp. of tamarind water.
Homemade Rasam / charru powder
- Coriander seeds 1 cup
- Cumin seeds 1 Tbsp.
- Red gram dal 4 Tbsp.
- Red chilies 3 nos
- Pepper corns 6nos
- The above ingredients make ½ cup rasam powder
method1 , just grind them in to fine powder and store in a air tight container to retain flavors.
Method2, Dry roast them , once cooled then grind them in to fine powder and store in a air tight container to retain flavors.