Three Bean Vegetarian Soup is a healthy and hearty soup that is very filling and can be enjoyed in any season. It is very nutritious as it is packed with high protein, good fiber and carbohydrates.
Regional Dish: America, Europe, South America
Cuisine Style: International | Preparation Time: 1hour 35mins | Take it as such or with some bread | Type: Meal | Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (260Kcals), Carbohydrates (40g), Protein (9.5g), Fat (6.1g).
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika ( chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt tomatoes or fresh tomatoes chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained ( white kidney beans)
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds and char the pepper halves and after cooling peel the black skin and chop the peppers.
- Heat a big stock pot over medium-low heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.
- Add onion; cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cumin and next 4 ingredients (through garlic); cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add bell peppers, broth or water, squash, and tomatoes; bring to a simmer.
- Cook 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans; simmer 25 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with green onions once it is done.
Variations: Add garbanzo Beans, Lima Beans , vegetables such as carrots , potatoes, beans, noodles , Barley, canned corn , peas, beans , zucchini , celery, red bell peppers.