Tangy Amaranth leaves stew (తోటకూర పులుసు, முளைக் கீரை குழம்பு, चावली पत्ते कड़ी) is an amazing dish that tastes tangy, spicy, sweet and a natural earthly flavor. Made of Thota kura also known as Amaranth leaves are very popularly cooked in most of the south Indian homes.Pulusu is a clear broth (tamarind) cooked with vegetables and a spice is served as a side dish along with rice. Basic ingredients in such stew always stays same only the additional ingredients either vegetables or lentils keeps changing. Thotakura pulusu is better in rice as well as roti.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take with rice or chapati | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day.
Appx. Nutritional values : ?
- Choped amaranth 8 cups
- Onion 2
- Chillies 3
- Turmaric powder 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder 1/12 tsp
- Tamarind paste 2 tsp
- Tomotos 3
For Popu :
- Coriander leaves
- Oil 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urud dal 1/2tsp
- Chann dal 1/2 tsp
- Crushed garlic flakes 5 pcs
- Curry leaves for taste few
- Take a bowl and add choped amaranth, onion, chillies, tomotos, turmaric and tamarind.
- Cook covered with lowflame for 15 mts. and stir well. If needs add 1/2 cup water.
- Add salt, chilli powder and mash well.
- Heat oil in a cooking bowl. Add chana dal, urud dal, cumin seeds, mustard seeds. Wait to splutter. Add red chillies, crushed garlic flakes, few curry leaves .
- Add mashed amaranth and mix well.
- Add coriander leaves.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.