Teepi Gavvalu (తీపి గవ్వలు, இனிப்பு குவ்வலு) means shells and this sweet is shell shaped traditional sweet. Maida dough is used to prepare small shells that are deep fried to a golden brown shade and coated with syrup made with sugar or jaggery. Usually prepared using a gavvala chekka (mould) or new comb or a fork.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 45 minutes | Take it as Snack | Type Sweets | Shelf Life : 2 weeks.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 10 nos) : Calories (200 Kcal), Carbohydrates (30 g), Protein (0 g), Fat (5 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Maida ( all purpose flour) 1 1/4 cups
- Sooji (fine semolina) 3-4 tbsps
- Melted ghee 2 tbsps
- Pinch of salt
- Warm milk as required to make dough
- Oil for deep frying
Syrup for coating gavvalu:
- Grated jaggery or sugar 1/4 cup
- Enough water to immerse jaggery
- Cardamom pwd 1/2 tsp
- Make a soft dough using maida, sooji, salt and ghee by adding enough warm milk. Keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Make small marble sized balls. Use the back of fork or a grater to shape each ball like a shell . Use thumb to press each ball gently onto the fork/grater to roll into a shell shape. Prepare shells with all prepared balls and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottomed vessel, add the jaggery and water and let it melt. Cook till the syrup becomes thick. To check the correct syrup consistency, drop some syrup into a bowl of water and if turns into a soft ball, its the right time to turn off heat and add cardamom powder.
- Heat a heavy bottomed vessel, add enough oil for deep frying, once the oil turns hot, add the gavvalu and deep fry to a golden brown shade. Remove onto a absorbent paper and immediately add to the syrup. Combine well to coat the gavvalu and allow to cool down , than store it in a air tight container.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Teepi Gavvalu with Wheat flour.