Tamato Rice (டொமாடோ அரிசி, టమాటో అన్నము, टमाटर चावल) Tomato rice is a very delicious and simple to prepare recipe. Pureed or cooked tomatoes with spices are added to rice.
Regional Dish : Tamil Nadu; Andhra; Karnataka; Kerala; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 40 minutes | Take with raita or masala curry , as such | Type Lunch or Dinner | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories ( 258 Kcal), Carbohydrates ( 53.34 g), Protein (6.74 g), Fat (2.38 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Basmati rice 2 cups (washed and drained keep aside.)
- Tomato pulp or paste / diced tomatoes fresh 1 cup
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Oil as required
- Onion 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Cinnamon 3 pieces
- Clove 2 pieces
- Cardamom 2 pieces
- Shajeera 1tsp
- Bay leaf 2nos
- Garlic 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Ginger 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Green chilly 2 nos
- Red chilly powder 1 tsp (Optional)
- Cashews 5-6 pieces (soaked in hot water and grind-ed in to paste)
- Fresh coconut 4 tbsp (grind coconut and cashews in the same water)
- Salt to taste
- Mint leaves 1/2 cup (shredded)
- Coriander leaves 1/2 cup (shredded)
- Curds/ plain yogurt 2 tbsps
- Lime juice from 1/2 of a lime
- Heat oil in a non stick pan, add onion, ginger, garlic, chilies and spices.
- When the oil separates, add tomato paste and chilly powder and stir for a while till oil floats on top.
- Add cashew paste and cook, stirring.
- Add salt, sugar, yogurt and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Bring the heat down and when the gravy is about to thicken, remove from fire.
- In an other pan, heat oil and fry the rice until it is heated through.
- Add the rice to the gravy.
- Carefully add hot water to the gravy till it stands 2 inches above the level of rice. Give it a stir.
- Close the non stick pan with a lid.
- Cook on low heat till the rice is well cooked, remove from flame and let it sit for some time.
- Open the lid, add the mint and coriander leaves and toss carefully.( We can also cook rice separately and once the curry is done we can mix them together and serve which is easy and quick too.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Tamato masala rice.