Tamarind Pulihora (చింతపండు పులిహోర, புளிக் கரைசல் புளிசாதம், पुलिहोरा, ಪುಲಿಒದರೈ) Pulihora is a traditional south Indian recipe.In Andhra pradesh this is prepared as a special dish during religious festivals and also in temples as prasadam. It is called with different names in South India and also made in various ways.As in Tamilnadu, it is called as Puliyodharai (Puliyogare).
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; gujarat; Maharastra; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Taken directly or with curds | Type as a side dish, Lunch , Dinner | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity : 2 Servings
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (226 Kcal), Carbohydrates (38.4 g), Protein (4.8 g), Fat (6.1 g).
- Rice 1 glass
- Water 2 glasses
- Turmeric powder 1 table spoon
- Urad dal 2 spoons
- Chana dal 2 spoons
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Ground nuts 2 spoons
- Cashew nuts handful
- Dry red chillies 4
- Green chillie 4 halved
- Curry leaves 1 stem
- Salt as per taste
- Tamarind juice 3 tbsps (adjust if required)
- Oil 4 to 5 tbsps
- Sesame seeds 2 tbsps (Optional)
- Wash and pressure cook rice(1 glass rice + 2 glasses of water) by adding turmeric powder and oil.
- Once the rice is cooked keep it aside. Now take a kadhai an heat oil in it.
- Fry mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, ground nuts, cashew nuts, dried red chillies, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Once they are fried add tamarind pulp and cook for 5 mins. Keep stirring on and off.
- When oil floats on top add salt. Now add cooked rice and mix all the ingredients well a
- Adjust salt if required(use salt water instead of using salt directly).
- Transfer the contents into a serving bowl and serve.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Simple pulihora 2. Green tamarind pulihora.