It is a salad widely prepared in Arab world and Middle East. It is a combination of fresh ingredients with bulgur and seasoned accordingly.
Regional Dish: Middle East
Cuisine Style: Mediterranean | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as such | Type Snack/ meal |Quantity 4 servings| Shelf Life : 2 days
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories (165Kcal), Carbohydrates (22 g), Protein (4 g), Fat (6g).
- ½ cup bulgur ( coarse whole wheat ravva )
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3tbs olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ diced tomatoes
- ½ diced cucumber ( green keera)
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 finely minced garlic
- 2 finely minced green chilies (optional)
- Salt and pepper according to taste
- Combine bulgur and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover, and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes the bulgur absorbs water and doubles the size , squeeze excess water if any and put in to a big bowl and fluff it up with a fork
- To this add all the above ingredients and mix well ; adjust the seasoning.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for at least 1 hour to serve cold.
Variations: Adding finely grated carrot, Adding cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans),Adding raosted egg plant, rasoted red , green and yellow peppers, Adding cooked broccoli, asparagus, cherry tomaotes , olives , feta cheese, Making tabbouleh using quinoa , Making tabbouleh using couscous .