Sweet Potato Gulab Jamuns (Ranga Alur Puli) (রাঙ্গা আলুর পুলি) is a typical bengali sweet that is prepared during makara sankranthi , the harvest time. Many other sweet dishes are prepared using sweet potatoes apart using them in other foods. This dish is very much enjoyed as they look like jamun’s but to once surprise when it had in mouth has a filling. The recipe look laborious but it is not so once made it is very easy .
Regional Dish: Bengal, Orissa.
Cuisine Style: Bengal| Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as such | Type Sweet| Shelf Life: 5 days if refrigerated| Quantity: 15 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (80Kcal), Carbohydrates (12g), Protein (1g), Fat (10g)
- 1 medium sized sweet potato
- 1 tbsp. All-purpose flour
- 1 pinch Baking powder
- 1 Ready Mix Gulab Jamun packet
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- Sugar Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tbsp. Chopped Almonds
- few strands Saffron
- Coconut Filling:
- 1 cup Shredded coconut
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. Cardamom seeds powder
- 2 tbsp. chopped Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp. chopped Almonds
- Steam cook the sweet potato till soft, peel the skin and mash it to a smooth paste. Add ghee, flour, baking soda and jamun powder and mix well. Don’t add water, moisture in the sweet potato will be enough to make tight dough. Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Boil milk with sugar in medium heat. keep stirring, once it starts to thicken add coconut and other ingredients. Keep stirring it, till the milk evaporates and coconut mixture comes to a sticky consistency. Remove from heat, let it cool down.
Sugar syrup preparation:
- Boil water and sugar with other ingredients in medium heat. Once the sugar water forms syrup consistency (One string), Remove from heat. (Don’t over heat the sugar syrup).
- Make small balls from the jamun dough. Make small dimple and fill it with coconut filling. close it from all the sides and make a ball. Prepare balls from rest of the dough and keep for deep frying.
- Heat Oil in sauce pan, on medium heat deep fry the jamun’s . Keep rolling them in oil to get even color on all the sides.
- Remove the jamuns and place them on a paper towel to dry off any oil. Then gently drop them into sugar syrup..
- Keep them soaked in syrup for about 15 to 30 minutes. Jamuns will absorb the syrup double the size. Now the stuffed sweet potato pulis are ready to be enjoyed either warm or cold.