Sweet potato Gravy (చిలకడదుంప పులుసు,சிலகடடும்ப புலுசு, ಚಿಳಕದದುಮ್ಪ ಪುಳುಸು, शकरकंद साग)Sweet potato is amongst the oldest vegetables today which is believed to be in consumption since centuries. Though sweet potatoes are native to Central America, they are cultivated in almost every country of the world today. At present, there are as many as 400 varieties of the vegetable, with the flesh ranging from white and yellow to orange in color and the skin being white, yellow, orange, red or purple.
Regional Dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamilanadu; Karnataka; Maharastra, North India , East India.
Cuisine Style:Andra Pradesh|Cooking Time 20 minutes| Take with Rice| Type Curry |Shelf Life : 1day | Quantity: 6 Servings
Appx.Nutritional values:calculated for 1 serving ( 1/2 cup)
Calories (103 Kcals) , Carbohydrates(24g), Protein (2g), Fat (1g)
- Sweet Potatoes 1 cup
- Tamarind size of a lemon
- Onion 1 medium sized
- Green Chilly 3
- Grated Jagery 4 tbsp
- Red Chilly Powder 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds 1tsp
- Cumin seeds 1tsp
- Mustard seeds 1tsp
- Curry leaves 1 spring
- Water 1 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli 1 broken
- Coriander leaves chopped 1 tbsp for garnish
- First Wash the sweet potato and cut into round or cubes.chop the onions and green chilly.In a bowl mix water and tamarind pulp, prepare 2 cups of tamarind juice.
- Heat the oil in a pan add mustard, fenugreek and cumin seeds,red chilli when it splutter add onions green chilly, curry leaves and cubed sweet potato pieces.
- Saute for few minutes till it leaves raw smell. Then cover the lid and cook for few minutes.
- Now add tamarind juice to cooking sweet potatoes.
- Mix well, cover the lid and once bring to boil. Then add jagery, red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt mix well and cook till the sweet potatoes become soft.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with hot rice, Papad or Vadiyam.
Other variants / Cuisine Style:1. Chilakadadumpa with mixed vegetables pulusu.