Spinach Pithla (पालक बेसन कढ़ी,ಸ್ಪಿನಾಚ್ ಕಡಲೆ ಹಿಟ್ಟು ಮೇಲೋಗರ, పాలకూర సెనగపిండి కూర) is spiced gravy made out of Besan (Chickpea flour). It is a quick recipe to have on hand when you are out of vegetables or want to cook something quick and easy. The combination of Pitla Bhakri or Jhunka Bhakri is famous in North Karnataka and parts of Maharashtra. The dry version of Pithla is known as Jhunka/ Zunka. Pithla tastes good when it is piping hot. It is better to use this in one go. Storing in the fridge and then re-heating multiple times is not recommended.
Regional Dish: Goa, Maharashtra, Mangalore, Karnataka.
Cuisine Style: Maharashtra| Cooking Time 20 mins | Take it with Roti| Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (90Kcal), Carbohydrates (15g), Protein (3g), Fat (3g)
• 4 Tbsp. besan (gram flour)
• 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
• 3-4 Green chilies
• 2-3 garlic pods (peeled)
• 1/2 tsp. Mustard seeds
• 3 cups of packed spinach leaves (cleaned, stem removed and chopped)
• 1 tsp. Cumin seeds
• 2 strands of coriander leaves
• Asafetida/hing (a pinch)
• Turmeric powder (a pinch)
• 1 Tbsp. Oil
• Salt to taste
• Juice of ½ lemon (optional)
1. Take a bowl, add the besan/gram flour, turmeric and stir in water until it has buttermilk like consistency. Makes sure there are no lumps. Keep aside.
2. Crush together garlic pods and green chilies and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in pan/kadai. Add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida and when they splutter add the coarsely ground green chili-garlic paste.
4. Add the chopped onions and fry until they become translucent. Add the chopped spinach, salt and mix until it is cooked.
5. Add the besan liquid to this and keep stirring continuously. After a while the water dries and the besan starts becoming thick. Check for salt and seasonings.
6. Garnish with fresh chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.
7. Serve hot with Bahkri, Chapathis or with Rice.
Variations: Besan Pithla, Methi Pithla