Sorakaya Pesarapappu (సొరకాయ పెసర పప్పు, சுரைக்காய் பாசி பருப்பு, लौकी और मूंग दल ) is also called bottlegourd dal. One simple sumptuous way to have this vegetable is to cook with Moong Dal. Specially for Vegetarians different dals are consumed in every meal as it has good proteins. South Indians usually make Dal using Toor dal, but Moong dal is also a great subsititute. This vegetable can be found in any season and is considered to be a very safe on stomach as its very easy to digest.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamil Nadu; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with rice or chapati | Type dal | Shelf Life : 1 day | Quantity : 5 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 2 tbs)
Calories (86.1Kcals), Carbohydrates (11.2 g),Protein (2.6 g), Fat (3.6 g)
- Bottle Gourd ( peeled and cut in to cubes 1 cup)
- Green gram dal 1 cup
- Garlic cloves 4
- Red chilli 1
- Curry leaves 5 t0 6
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
- Butter 1 tbsp
- Urad dal 1tsp
- Water1 cup
- Salt as per taste
- Turmeric a pinch
- Chilli powder as per taste
- In a sauce pan, add water and bring it to boil and then add green gram dal( moong dal ),chopped bottle gourd and turmeric.
- You can add more water if the water isn’t enough for the lentils to be cooked
- Once the lentils are cooked( they should fall apart completely ), switch off the heat and keep aside.
- Now do the tadka / tempering with ghee instead of oil. Heat ghee/butter add cumin seeds, garlic, red chilli, urad dal and curry leaves. Once the urad dal and cumin seeds are golden brown, remove from heat and add the tadka to the dal and mix well add salt and chilli powder and bring it to a boil .
Note: 1.Pressure cook both dal and gourd in apressure cooker for 3 whistles.
2. If do not like garlic avoid it during tampering and add Hing.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Sorakaya Pesarapappu Kootu 2. Sorakaya kandipappu.
No comments yet.