Bottle gourd kheer (సొరకాయ పాయసం, சுரை காய் புட்டிங், लौकी खीर) Lauki Kheer is a healthy and very refreshing dessert made with bottle gourd.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamilnadu; Maharashtra; Gujarat; Megalaya; Mizoram; Nagaland,Sikkim.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 20-25 minutes | Take it as snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 1 day.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1cup):
Calories (129.5 kcals), Carbohydrates (18.3 g), Protein (6.4g), Fat (3.3g)
- Grated sorakaya 1 cup
- Milk 2 cups
- Sugar 1/2 cup
- Sweet less kova 1 /2 cup or substitute with 1/2 cup non fat milk powder
- Dry fruits 2 tsp
- Ghee 1Tbs
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- Fry grated bottle gourd in ghee for 5 minutes on low flame
- Add milk, sugar and stir constantly for 10 minutes
- Add kova or milk powder and stir well again the consistency is thick like a porridge
- After 5minutes remove from heat add cardamom powder and decorate with dry fruits
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Bottle gourd pudding with milk maid , Bottle gourd kheer with jaggery 2. Sorakaya payasam (add custer powder to the milk).