Sooji (Rava) halwa (ரவை ஹல்வா, ರವೆ ಹಲ್ವಾ, రవ్వ హల్వ, सूजी का हल्वा) “Rava Kesari” is a popular sweet prepared all over India . It is called with different names too .It is easy to prepare with ,minimum ingredients.It is one of the favourite sweet which all kids love to eat.
Regional dish: Prepared all over India.
Cuisine Style: Tamilnadu | Cooking Time: 20 min | Take it as Snack | Type Sweet | Shelf life : 3 days if it is refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup):
Calories (435.2 Kcal), Carbohydrates ( 40.0 g), Proteins ( 3.4 g), Fats ( 25.5 g).
- Sooji (upma rava) 1 cup
- Sugar 1 cups
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Food color (saffron or red color) a pinch
- Water 2 1/2 cups
- Cashew nuts 2 tbs ( chopped )
- Kismis 2tbs
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. of ghee in a frying pan and add rava to it and fry till the fresh smell of the rava goes off.
2. Keep the roasted rava aside.
3. Boil 2 1/2 cups of water for 10 minutes.Then add the roasted rava into it and let it boil for another 10 minutes.
4. Now, add sugar to it ,stir well and let it boil for 10 minutes.
5. Keep on pouring ghee in small quantities every now and then until the mixture becomes solid.
6. Remove from heat and add cardamom powder and color.
7. Fry chopped cashew nuts and kismis in 2 tsps. of ghee and add these fried nuts to the mixture prepared above.
8. Thus,Rava kesari is ready to be served.
9. Serve hot or cold.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Sooji Halwa with milk. 2. Sooji halwa served with pooris.