Shrikhand (श्रीखंड, શ્રીખંડ,ಶ್ರೀಖಂಡ, శ్రీఖండ్) Awesome Cuisine from maharastra . It is a very popular dessert in Western parts of India. Shrikhand [In Gujarati શ્રીખંડ and In marathi श्रीखंड] is an Indian sweet dish made of strained yogurt and sugar. In Gujarati cuisine, shrikhand is eaten as either a side-dish with breads such as poori (usually “khaaja poori”, which is a savory fried flaky bread.
Regional Dish : Maharashtra; Gujarat;Bengal; Orissa; Karnakata; Mostly in Western India; North India and some places in South India.
Cuisine Style : Maharashtra | Preperation Time 1 hour | Take it as such or as a side-dish with breads such as pooris | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1cup : Calories (130 Kcal), Carbohydrates (15 g), Protein (8 g), Fat (4 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Curds 1/2 kg
- Sugar 300 gm
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Few strands of saffron
- Pista 1/2 tbsp crushed
- Almonds 1/2 tbsp crushed
- Tie curd in a clean muslin cloth overnight. (6-7 hours).
- Once all the water is drained out the curd becomes like a soft dough.
- Take into a bowl, add sugar and mix well.
- Keep aside for 25-30 minutes to allow sugar to dissolve.
- Rub saffron into 1 tbsp. milk till well broken and dissolved. Keep aside.
- Beat well till sugar has fully dissolved into curd.
- Pass through a big holed strong strainer, pressing with hand or spatula.
- Mix in cardamom powder and dissolved saffron and half nuts.
- Empty into a glass serving bowl, top with remaining crushed nuts
- Chill for 1-2 hours before serving.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Chocolate Shrikhand 2. Mango Shrikhand 3. Shrikhand with Mixed fruits.