Sev-Bhaji (सेव बाजी) It is classic Maharastrian recipe with limited ingredients, yet simple and delicious.It is very spicy Sev bhaji means sev curry .It is mostly enjoyed with any type of roti or rice which absorbs some of the spice and makes the recipe enjoyable.
Regional Dish : Maharastra
Cusian Style : Maharastrian | Cooking Time 25 mins | Take with rotis or rice | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1 cup )
Calories (150 Kcal), Carbohydrates (18.0 g), Protein (2.6 g), Fat (3.0 g).
- 1 1/2 Cup Sev ( thick and spicy variety)
- 1 Medium Onion finely chopped
- 8 Cloves of Garlic
- 2 tbsp Grated Roasted Dry Coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- 2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Kala Masala (optional)
- 3/4 tsp Namak ( according to taste)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Chopped Corainder leaves for garnish
- Pound together the garlic cloves and dry coconut to a paste,without adding any water.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard and cumin seeds. Once they splitter, add hing.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they are translucent.
- Add the garlic and coconut paste and saute in a low flame for 1/2 min.
- Add turmeric, followed by red chilly powder and mix well.
- Add 1 tbsp water to prevent the masala from burning. Saute till oil floats on top.
- Now add 1 1/2 cup of water to it and mix well. Bring it to a boil.( you can add hot water to save time) ; add the shev to the boiling mixture and let it simmer for 2 mins.
- Garnish with chopped corainder.
- Serve immediately with rice or rotis and sliced onions with a wedge of lemon.
Variations: Add boiled chick peas , Add boiled green peas