Sengapappu Payasam (సెనగపప్పు పాయసం, கடலை பருப்பு பாயசம், चना दल की खीर) is quite regular for pujas, festivals like Janmashtami and Shiva Rathri and other special occasions including family functions. Also quite common for lunch served in temples. It is high in protein and dietary fiber and lots of iron as jaggery goes in .
Regional Dish : Tamil Nadu; Andhra; Kerala; Karnataka, and North India.
Cuisine Style : Tamil Nadu | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take it as Snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 servin ( 1cup):
Calories (250 Kcal), Carbohydrates (20 g), Protein (5 g), Fat (1 g)
Ingredients to serve :
- Bengal Gram / Chana dal / Senega Pappu 1 cup
- Jaggery 1 cup
- Milk 1cup
- Cardamom powder 1 tsp
- Cashew Nuts 5-6 whole
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Grated Fresh coconut if you prefer 1 tbsp
- Pressure cook the bengal gram till its cooked.
- Melt jaggary and remove if any dirt.
- Then add jaggary, milk and cardamon powder to the Bengal gram, cook in sim for 10 minutes.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast the cashew nuts.
- Add coconut (optional), else roast the fresh grated coconut. Add to the cooked payasam.
- Serve hot or chilled.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Sengapappu Payasam prepared with Chana Dal and Semiya.