Semiya Upma (సేమియా ఉప్మా, சேமிய உபம, ಸೆಮಿಯ ಉಪ್ಮ, सेमिया उप्मा) This filling tasty dish is often served with podi or pickle topped with some ghee or even with a fresh sqeeze of lemon to give that zest. There are different types of Semiya (Vermicelli) upma, some with combination of vegetables and some even with use of meat. Here is a simple version from my kitchen, for beginners to try.
Regional Dish : Andhra Pradesh; Tamilnadu; Karnataka; Kerala; South India and some places in North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra Pradesh | Cooking Time 15 minutes | Take with Pickle | Type Breakfast | Shelf Life : half day |Quantity : 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (187.7 Kcal), Carbohydrates (32.6 g), Protein (5.5 g), Fat (3.3 g).
- Semiya 1 big bowl
- Onion 1 cut lengthwise
- Green Chillies 3 cut lengthwise
- Fresh ginger a small piece finely chopped
- Bengal gram dhal 1 teaspoon
- Urad dhal 1 teaspoon
- Cashew nuts 10 nos
- Curryleaves 10nos
- Oil 8 teaspoons
- Mustard seeds ½ teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice ½ teaspoon
- In a kadai, put four teaspoon oil and fry the semiya till it is hot to touch and they change color to golden brown, remove them on to a plate and keep aside.
- In the same kadai, put the remaining oil and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds ,when it pops up, add the dhals, cashew nuts and fry till it turns light brown.
- Add chopped onion, chillies, ginger and curry leaves. Fry till onions are transparent.
- Add a big bowl of water (the semiya:water ratio is 1:1) along with salt.
- Bring to boil.
- When it starts boiling, add the fried semiya and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and cover with lid.
- After few seconds open and stir once again.
- Cook till all the water is absorbed.
- Sprinkle lemon juice and mix gently.
- Serve with and podis or pickle
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Semiya Umpa with vegetables
No comments yet.