Semiya Payasam ( సేమియా పాయసం, சேமியா கீர், सेंवई खीर ) Semiya or Vermicelli Payasam is the simplest of all the payasams.The beauty of this ingredient is its adaptability. Any kind of dish can be made from this – sweet or savory dish with any spice, in liquid, semi solid or solid form. In India Semolina is used to make a variety of dishes – both sweet & savory like Halwas, Payasams, Puddings, Upma, Falooda and Pulao varieties.
Regional Dish : Prepared in all parts of India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 30 minutes | Take with Snacks | Type Sweet | Shelf Life :2 days if refrigerated
Appx. Nutritional values : Calories (115.0), Carbohydrates (18.1 g), Protein ( 4.5 g), Fat ( 2.6 g).
- Semiya ( vermicelli) 1 cup
- Milk 4cups
- Sugar 1/2 cup ( according to once taste buds)
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts 2 tbsp
- Raisins 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp
- Roasted semiya with little ghee.Boil the milk, add semiya and cook till the semiya becomes soft.
- Add sugar and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fry cashew nuts and raisins in ghee and add to the payasam and any left over ghee.
- Finish it off with Cardamom powder.
- Serve hot or cold.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Semiya payasam with sabudana , Semiya payasam with fine sooji, Semiya payasam with charoli/ chironji/ saara pappu , Semiya payasam with milkmade , Semiya payasam with coconut milk , Semiya payasam with kohya , Semiya payasam with kesar