Semiya Daddojanam (సేమియాదద్దోజనం,சேமியாதயிர்,सेंवई दही) is a South Indian recipe that is enjoyed as a complete meal or as a afternoon snack during summers. It is also one of festive and temple recipe that is offered to god. It is very nutritious packed with goodness of curds which is rich in calcium, protein and probiotics , it is a meal because it has carbohydrates of vermicelli and other nutrients come from fresh veggies that we add. It is not a cooked food so it is very natural and easily digested. It is enjoyed by every group.
Regional dish: Andhra Pradesh; Tamil Nadu; South India.
Cuisine Style: Andhra Pradesh | Preparation time 20 mins | Type Snack/main course | Take it as such | Shelf life: 2 days if refrigerated | Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx.Nutritional values: calculated for 1 serving (1cup)
Calories (225K cals), Carbohydrates (25g), Protein (4g), Fat (4g)
- Vermicelli : ½ cup
- Fresh Curd : 1 and ½ cups
- Mustard Seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Chana Dal : 1tbsp.
- Finely chopped ginger : 1 tsp
- Finely chopped coriander leaves : 2 tbsp.
- Grated carrot : 2 tbsp.
- Finely chopped cucumber: 2 tbsp.
- Finely chopped green mango: 1 tbsp. (optional)
- Sour cream : 2 tbsp. ( optional)
- Finely chopped green chilies : 1
- Dried Red Chili : 1 broken in to pieces
- Curry Leaves : 1 sprig
- A big pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
- Oil : 1 tbsp.
- Bring 2 to 3 cups of water to boil. Add a teaspoon of oil and a pinch of salt and vermicelli.
- Cover and cook on medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the vermicelli is cooked, strain and run cold water through it and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, chana dal and let them splutter.
- Now add finely chopped ginger and chopped green chilies to it and fry for a minute. Then add the curry leaves, red chilies and hing and fry for another few seconds.
- Switch off the heat and let it cool down.
- Combine the cooked vermicelli, salt, yogurt, sour cream, carrots, coriander, cucumber, mango and seasoned ingredients in a wide bowl.
- Mix well and enjoy as such or can be chilled and enjoyed with some pickle.
Other variants / Cuisine Style: Add turmeric, add some peppercorns, add some fresh fruit like grapes, apple, pomegranate, enjoy with some fried salted chilies or pickle.