Santula (सांतालू) hails from Orissa. It’s a gravy dish made from vegetables. And has 2 versions – boiled or fried.
Regional Dish: Orissa, Bengal
Cuisine Style: Orissa | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it Rice | Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (45Kcal), Carbohydrates (10g), Protein (2g), Fat (1g)
- 250 gms potatoes, chopped
- 100 gms raw papaya, chopped
- 3 brinjals (cut them into two)
- Water, little bit
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric powder
- Salt for taste
- Ginger, small whole piece
- 1/2 Tbsp. coriander powder
- 2 Tbsp. refined oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 pieces garlic
- 1/2 Tbsp. mustard seeds
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. asafoetida (Heeng)
- 2 whole green chillies
- In a pressure cooker add cut potatoes, raw papaya, brinjals and a little bit of water.
- Add turmeric powder, salt, ginger and cumin to the potatoes, papaya and brinjals.
- In a pan, saute sliced onions, mustard and cumin seeds.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic, turmeric, coriander powder, asafoetida, salt and water.
- Transfer the potatoes, raw papaya and brinjal to the pan.
- Add some milk to it.
- Garnish with some coriander and whole green chillies and simmer for 5-7 minutes.