Sandesh (Bengali: সন্দেশ | Hindi: सन्देश | Telugu: సందేష్) is a simple yet authentic Bengali sweet that is prepared fresh with paneer. It is very nutritious and delicious, now a days we see lot of Bengali sweets section in any sweet shop. As many of Bengali sweets seems laborious, this is very simple to make.
Regional Dish: Bengal
Cuisine Style: Bengali| Preparation Time: 50 minutes | Take it as such | Type: Sweet| Shelf Life: 2 days refrigerated| Quantity: 20 nos.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 piece:
Calories (147 Kcal), Carbohydrates (16g) , Protein (3.6 g), Fat (5 g).
- Whole Milk 1 liter
- Lemon juice 2 Tbs.
- Sugar 6 to 8 Tbs. / Jaggery
- Cardamom Powder ½ tsp.
- Milk powder / all-purpose powder / corn starch 2 tsp.
- Dry fruits of choice ( Almonds slices, Pistachios coarsely powdered)
- Saffron strands 1 pinch soaked in 1 Tbs of water or warm milk
- First we have to prepare fresh paneer. For this boil milk in a heavy bottom pan, once it comes to boil add lemon juice and give a nice stir and continue to boil.
- The milk starts to curdle, now switch of the stove and allow the milk to stand for 10 minutes before straining it though fine muslin cloth. Remove excess water and allow the fresh paneer to cool.
- Once paneer reaches room temperature, transfer the paneer along sugar, milk powder in a blender to a fine paste.
- Now transfer this fine paneer paste in to a heavy bottom pan and cook on medium flame with constant stirring to prevent from burning. This takes around 10 minutes for the mixture to become think like a dough.
- Now add cardamom powder and saffron water to the mixture and mix well.
- When it reaches to room temperature, grease your palms and roll in to lemon size balls and give a press them down like discs.
- Decorate it with nuts of choice. And refrigerate at least 3 to 4 hours before serving.
- Without cooking, just knead paneer with sugar and flour with hand to make a fine paste and roll them in to shapes.
- Can prepare with store brought paneer.
- Add stevia, agave nectar or splenda to replace sugar of jaggary
- Add koya, cottage cheese, make with jiggery, adding any nut (almonds, cashew nuts, Pistachios powder) to the paste before rolling them to any shape. Add different varieties of fresh fruit puree like (mango, straw berry, blue berry, cherry, pine apple) coco powder.
- Add variety of essence like rose , vanilla , chocolate, orange blossom , mango , pine apple , straw berry)