Sambar Kaaram (సాంబార్ కారం, சாம்பார் காரம், साम्बार कारम) In Andhra, the regular karam we use in all curries is called Sambar karam. It is different from Sambar Powder.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; South India and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Preperation Time 20 minutes | Take it as spicy karam in all curries | Type powder | Shelf Life : 1 month
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 tablespoon: Calories (20 Kcal), Carbohydrates (5g ), Protein (1g), Fat (0.12g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Redchillies 1kg
- Dhaniya (coriander seeds) 250gms
- Jeera (cumin seeds) 100gms
- Fenugreek seeds 10gms
- Garlic 250gm
- Salt as per taste
- Bengal gram 50gm (optional)
- Black gram 50gm (optional)
- Curry leaves fistfull
- Fry moderately red chilles, dhaniya, jeera, fenu greek, bengal gram and black gram on low heat.
- Add curry leaves and remove from fire , so they get cooled
- Grind them well in to a fine powder.
- Grind fresh crushed garlic to the above powder and mix well so that the garlic flavor gets infused into the powder.
- Add salt and mix well again .
- Immidetly store in a airtight container
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Sambar Kaaram with black peppercorns.