Sakkarai (Sweet) pongal (இனிப்பு பொங்கல், చక్కర పొంగల్, मीठा पोंगल) is generally prepared in temples as a prasad, i.e, offering to God. This type of pongal is also prepared during the Pongal festival (similar to Thai Pongal) in Tamil Nadu, South India. Sakkarai Pongal” is a popular dish made for TamilNadu’s most popular festival “PONGAL”. In South India it is prepared in all hindu homes during festivals and poojas irrespective of which state it might be.
Regional dish : Tamilnadu; AndhraPradesh; Orissa ;South India.
Cuisine style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take it as prasadam or snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 1 day
Appx. Nutritional values : Calories (400 Kcal), Carbohydrates (58 g) Protein (8 g), Fat (18 g).
- Raw Rice 1 cup
- Green Gram Dal 1/2 cup
- Milk 1 cup
- Jaggery (powdered) 3 cups
- Ghee 4 tbsp
- Cashewnuts 2 tbsp
- Raisins 2 tbsp
- Cardamom powder 1/2 tsp or whole pods opened 3 nos
- A pinch of Saffron
- Water 2 1/2 cups
- Roast dry the green gram dal for a couple of minutes.
- Cook the rice and green gram dal with 2 1/2 cups of water and 1 cup milk to a soft consistency in a pressure cooker.
- Dissolve the jaggery in 3/4 cup water and cook on a low heat till the jaggery melts.
- Strain the jaggery to remove the dirt.
- Put the syrup once more on the heat and stir till it becomes slightly sticky.
- To the above jaggery syrup add the cooked rice and dal.
- Heat the 4 tbsp ghee ,Fry the cashewnuts and raisins and add to the pongal.
- Add the powdered cardamoms and saffron.
- Mix well and serve hot.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Sweet Pongal add with some chana dal. 2. Sweet pongal with sugar.