Saggubiyyam Kichidi (ಸಬ್ಬಕ್ಕಿ ಕಿಚಿಡಿ, சவ்வரிசி கிசிடி, साब्बुदना किचीडी) is a traditional breakfast dish in India. Saggubiyyam is used in puddings (payasam), as gruel or soup, and upma dishes. Sago is full of carbohydrates and is great for a quick boost of energy. It is famous in Maharashtra. This is mostly made on upwas or fasting days.
Regional Dish : Karnataka; Maharastra; Tamil Nadu; South India and North Indian.
Cuisine Style : Karnataka | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take it Directly | Type Snacks | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity: 4 servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories (413 Kcal), Carbohydrates 40.2 g), Protein (6.2 g), Fat (3.7 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Saggu biyyam 2 cups ( sago, sabudana)
- Peanut powder 1/2 cup
- Chopped onion 1
- Green chillies 2 ( pieces)
- Urad dal 1 tbs
- Channa dal 1 tbs
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Few curry leaves
- Chopped coriander 2 tbs.
- Boiled potato 1/2 cup (Optional)
- Salt as needed
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2tbsp
- Wash saggubiyyam ( sago , sabudana) and for 2 cups of sago add 1 cup of water and 1 tsp. of salt and allow it to soak, after 1 hour fluff sago and check if all the water is absorbed and when we press a sago ball it should be soft and spongy , if not sprinkle some plain water and allow it to absorb.
- Once the sago is soft and spongy it is ready to make kichidi or upma.
- Heat a pan, roast the peanuts , cool it and make it in to coarse powder.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add urad dal, channa dal, curry leaves and after that add onions and green chillies.
- Once the onions become golden brown, add turmeric powder , boiled mashed potato and sago.
- Now check salt and if need add some more and toss for 5 minutes so that sago becomes transparent.
- Now add lemon juice , coarse peanut powder and corinader leaves and enjoy.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : sabudana kichidi, saggubiyyam upma, kichidi with lemon juice , kichidi with mint leaves