Saggu Biyyam Dates Payasam (సగ్గు బియ్యం ఖర్జూరం పాయసం, ಸೀಮೆ ಅಕ್ಕಿ ಕರ್ಜುರ ಪಯಸಂ, साबूदाना और खर्जूर पायसम) Sago Payasam is really the familiar tapioca pudding made slightly different with the added dates (Kharjoor), cardamom, saffron, nuts and raisins. It is delicious served hot, warm or cold. Sago is also known as Sabudana (Hindi) or Jawwarisi (Tamil) and is made from the starch of sago palms, Metroxylon sagu.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; Kerala; and North India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 25 minutes | Take as Snack | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values : Calories (261 K cal), Carbohydrates (52.2 g), Protein (4.3 g), Fat (4.5 g).
- Saggubiyyam( sago , sabudhana) 1 cup
- Dates 2 cups
- Badam 5
- Kismis 10
- Kaju 10
- Elachi 3pods crushed
- Milk 4 cups
- Sugar 1 cup
- Water 2 cup
- Ghee 4 Tbs
- Take Saggubiyyam one cup add 2 cups of water cook until very soft.
- Cut the dates very small pieces. Cut all the dry fruits into small pieces.
- Take the pan and place it on stove and pour in ghee.
- Add Kaju, Kismis, Badam Pieces,all the dry fruits and dates.
- Put on sim and fry well.
- Pour milk into that mix well.
- Add saggubiyyam that is cooked in water and sugar and mix well.
- And finally add elachi powder.
- Mix well keep flame on sim 15 minutes.
- Don’t put lid on pan, should mix every five minutes.
- Switch off the stove after 15 minutes.
- Saggubiyyam,dates payasam is now ready to serve.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Saggu Biyyam Payasam with sugar , saggu payasam with mango pulp, saggu with vermicelli, saggu with carrot.