Roomali Roti (ਰੂਮਾਲੀ ਰੋੱਤੀ, ರೂಮಲಿ ರೋಟಿ, రూమాలి రోటి, रूमाली रोटी) Roomali Roti, as the name indicates, gives handkerchief like appearance. Roomali Roti is thin and large in size than the normal chapattis and goes well with both vegetarian and non vegetarian curry. It is a thin bread from the northern part of the Indian subcontinent and a traditional element in Mughlai, Punjabi and Kashmir cuisine.
Regional Dish : Punjab; Gujarat; North India and some places in South India; and it is sub-continental dish.
Cuisine Style : Punjab | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with Shahi Dal or Shahi Paneer | Type Roti | Shelf Life : 2 days | Quantity : 10 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values : calcualted for 1 serving ( 1nos)
Calories (80 Kcal), Carbohydrates (14.6 g), Protein (2 g), Fat (1.3 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Whole Wheat Flour (Atta) 11/2cup
- Maida 50 gms
- Baking powder 1/2 tsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Water to knead
- Mix wheat flour, maida, salt and baking powder and sieve them together.
- Pour oil in the flour and add water bit by bit and make a smooth & elastic dough and set aside covered with moist muslin cloth for 1/2 an hour.
- Now make small balls of the dough and roll like a thin chapati of about 12″ diameter circle using little dry flour (it should be thin as a tissue)
- Heat an inverted griddle(tawa).
- Place the rumali roti carefully over it and cook till done. Fold it like a handkerchief.
- Serve roomali roti hot with Indian curry.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : None.