Ridge gourd tomato curry ( பீர்கங்கை டொமாடோ கூடு, బీరకాయ టొమాటో కూర, बीराकाया टमाटर कूरा ) is old traditional dish in Andhra pradesh. It was the stuffed dish with the essence of the coriander and the spicy leaves.
Regional dish : Tamilnadu; Andhra pradesh; South India.
Cuisine Style : Tamilnadu | Cooking Time 20 minutes | Take with Rice or Paratha | Type Curry | Shelf Life : 1 day| Quantity 4 servings.
Appx .Nutritional values for 1 serving :
Calories (115 Kcal), Carbohydrates (3 g), Protein ( 1 g), Fat (3 g).
- Ridge gourd 500g
- Onion finely chopped 1
- Tomato finely chopped 2
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tsp
- Chilli powder or to taste 3/4 tsp
- Coriander powder 3/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Oil 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Peel and cut the ridge gourd into small pieces.
- Heat a pan with oil and add mustard seeds.
- When they start to pop add chopped onions and saute till they turn into transparent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute till they become juicy.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- Then add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
- Saute for a second and now add the chopped ridge gourd pieces.
- Combine well and cover with a lid and cook on low flame till the beerakaya becomes tender.
- Finally adjust salt and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Now your beerakaya tomato curry is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with Roti, rice, etc…
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1.Beerakaya tamato curry without ginger garlic paste. Beerakaya tamato curry with milk.