Rasmalai (రసమలై, ரசமலை, रसमलाई) is a very popular sweet / dessert from Bengal . But in recent years this became popular all over India and now over world .It is prepared from paneer balls cooked in syrup and then soaked into malai(cream). It is very delicious and all time favorite.This sweet with other sweets made from fresh paneer (channa) like rasogulla , cham cham made a special corner for themselves as bengali sweets in every sweet shop across world.
They are so delicate that they are fresh when stored in cool temperatures.
Regional dish: Bengal and all over India.
Cuisine Style:Bengal| Preparation Time: 15 min | Cooking Time 20 minutes| Take it as snack | Type Sweet | Shelf life : 2 days if refrigerated.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1nos):
Calories (401 Kcal), Carbohydrates (49.1g), Protein (8 g), Fat (20.2g).
- Paneer made from 1 litre of whole milk ( boil milk and add lemon juice of 2 tbs and boil , the milk starts curdling , take all the curd and throw away the whey water .Now squeez water from this curd to obtain fresh paneer.
- Full cream milk 1 litre
- Sugar 2 cups for sugar syrup
- Cardamom 5-6
- Saffron strands a pinch
- Water 4 cups
- Sugar 1 cup to add to milk
- Thinly sliced almonds or pistachios and some safron strands for garnish
1. Mix the water and 2 cups of sugar in a pan and boil till all the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the fire and keep syrup aside.
2. Knead the Paneer in a platter till very smooth. Make into balls slightly smaller than the size of a walnut and flatten slightly in the center.
3. When the Paneer balls are made, reheat the syrup to boiling, then simmer and gently drop in the Paneer balls. Cook for 10 minutes. Turn off fire.
4. In another pan boil one litre of full cream milk with the 1 cup of sugar, till reduced/thickened to 75 per cent of its original volume. Turn off the fire, add the cardamom powder, saffron strands and mix well.
5. Now gently take out paneer balls from sugar syrup , squeeze gently and add them to the milk mixture at room temperature and chill for a few hours.
6. Before serving, garnish with dried fruits.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : 1. Rasmalai prepare with powdered milk