Rajma (ਰਾਜਮਾ, ராஜ்ம, రాజ్మా, रज्मा) Rajma is a popular North Indian vegetarian dish consisting of red kidney beans in a thick curry with lots of Indian whole spices and usually served with rice. This dish developed after the red kidney bean was brought to the Indian subcontinent from Central Mexico and Guatemala.
Regional Dish : Punjab; North India; some places in south India.
Cuisine Style : Punjab| Cooking Time 30 minutes| Take with chapati| Type Curry | Shelf Life :1 day | quantity 4 servings .
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving :
Calories (225 Kcal), Carbohydrates (35.0 g), Protein (10.0 g), Fat (5.0 g).
- Kidney beans 1 cup
- Finely chopped (I used Red onions) 1 onion
- Tomatoes chopped 2-3
- One Inch ginger peeled and grated
- Green chillies thinly sliced 2 (or as per taste)
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Cumin-coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Amchur powder (dry mango powder) (or use lemon juice) 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro and finely chopped onions for garnish
- 3-4 cloves
- Whole green cardamoms 2-3
- Cinnamon stick 1 inch
- Bay leaf 1
- Black pepper 4-5
- Oil / butter 3 tsp
1. Soak the kidney beans overnight. Of course you can use store bought canned beans.
2. Make sure to drain them well and rinse in cold water before using them.
3. Before cooking the kidney beans, add whole spices such as 3 cloves.
5. For cooking use Pressure Cooker and it takes about 10-12 minutes for it cook. While that’s cooking and prepare the gravy.
6. You can finish the complete dish within 15-20 minutes.
7. Meanwhile in a skillet, add 1 tsp of oil (for the traditional Punjab richness, add Ghee instead), saute onions, chilli and ginger along with little salt.
8. Once soft add the spice powders and saute for few more seconds.
9. Add the tomatoes
10. Add little water and Cook until tomatoes are soft.
11. Add the kidney beans along with cooking water.
12. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Taste and season if needed. You can add more water depending on the consistency you like. Break down some of the kidney beans to thicken the gravy.
Other variants / Cuisine Style :1.Rajma with yogurt.