Radish Pickle (मूली अचार, মূলা জরান) has the goodness of radish with has that pungency, crisp and sharp texture with loads of flavor when had.
Regional Dish: North India, Bengal
Cuisine Style: Bengal | Cooking Time 15 mins | Take it with rice/ roti | Type Pickle| Shelf Life: 6 months| Quantity: 30 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (30Kcal), Carbohydrates (6g), Protein (0.2g), Fat (4g)
- 20 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/3 cup oil (preferably mustard)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon panch phoron (Bengali 5-Spice Blend) ( cumin, coriander, fenugreek, mustard, fennel seeds in equal portion)
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar ( optional)
- Place the radishes and the salt in the colander for about 20 minutes.
- Heat the mustard oil for about 1 and 1/2 minutes until the oil is smoking.
- Add in the mustard seeds and wait till they crackle.
- Grind the panch phoran to a powder.
- Add in the radishes and reduce the heat to low.
- Cut the limes and squeeze the juice in a separate container.
- Add in the turmeric, ginger and chili powder and toss to coat and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add in the lime juice and the ground panch phoron and the sugar.
- Add in the sesame seeds, stir well and turn off the heat.
- Let the radish pickle cool thoroughly.
- Store in clean , dry jars. They can be sealed or stored in the refrigerator for up to six months.