Quinoa Lemon Pulihora is adapted from South Indian Lemon Rice, we replaced rice with Quinoa. As nowadays we are hearing a lot about the health benefits of this grain which comes from South America, it’s also called as the mother of grains. This Pulihora goes with Indian taste and so can easily become a part of our diet. This recipe is rich in good calories with fiber, proteins and packed with rich nutrients that can be enjoyed by every one. The grain is small and round that gives it a appealing look for all the crowd. We can add other veggies and make pulao as we make with rice too which is rich and tastes good.
Regional Dish: South Indian
Cuisine Style: South Indian | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it as such | Type meal |Quantity 2 servings| Shelf Life : 1 day , if refrigerated than for 4 days.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving ( 1cup)
Calories (250Kcal), Carbohydrates (45 g), Protein (10 g), Fat (6g).
- Quinoa 1 cup
- Water 1 cup
- ¼ cup lemon juice or juice from 1 lemon or 2 limes
- Green chilies 3 cut in to pieces
- Grated carrot 1/4 cup ( optional)
- Finely chopped cilantro 1/4 cup ( optional)
- Coarsly crushed dry roasted almonds 1/4 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric ¼ tsp.
- Oil 2 tbsp.
- To tamper ( ¼ tsp. Mustard seeds , 1 red chili pieces , Urad dal 1 tbsp. , Channa dal 1tsp. , curry leaves 10)
- Wash and cook quinoa with the ratio of 1:1 quinoa to water , if you want mushy one can double the water quantity on medium heat , till it’s done.
- Note : we have to wash quinoa 2 to 3 times and let it soak for 15 to 30 mins before cooking, if we do not wash the recipe will become bitter as there is a thin coating on the grain that causes bitter)
- Once cooked allow the cooked quinoa to rest for 5 mins , and fluff it with a fork and move it to a wide serving plate
- Spread the cooked quinoa and to this mix salt, turmeric, 1 tsp. of oil and lemon juice and adjust the taste.
- Now mix the chopped coriander, grated carrot and almonds and once agin mix well.
- Take rest of the oil 1 tbsp. in a pan and heat it, add urad dal, chana dal, red chilies, green chilies, mustard seeds and curry leaves, fry them and add to the prepared quinoa and give a nice mix.
- Now our lemon quinoa pulihora is ready to be served.
Variations: Add grated green mango, chopped cucumber , chopped tomatoes.