Purnam Burelu (పూర్ణం బూరెలు, பூர்ணம் பூறேழு, पूर्णं बुरेलु) is one of the main sweet which is offered to God in any pooja performed in all Andhra homes. Termed to be a heavenly delicacy of Andhra region or cuisine. This is made like sweet dumplings especially during Sankranti, Vinayaka Chaturthi, Vara Lakshmi Pooja and Dusshera festival in Andhra region. Purnam Burelu, one of the most popular sweets prepared in the homes of Andhra, symbolic of joy and festivity, completely embodies the idea of a traditional Andhra sweet. It can be a great appetizer.
Regional Dish : Andhra; Tamil Nadu; Karnataka; South India.
Cuisine Style : Andhra | Cooking Time 45 minutes | Take with Ghee | Type Sweet | Shelf Life : 1 days.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving (1nos) :
Calories (171.1 K cal ), Carbohydrates (18.9 g), Protein (2.4 g), Fat (3.8 g).
Ingredients to serve :
- Channa dal 3 cups
- Grated jaggery 2½ cups or to taste
- Cardamoms 5 pods crushed
- Coconut 1/4 cup (grated or pieces) ( optional)
- Oil for deep frying
- Rice 2 cups
- Urad dal 1 cup
- Soak rice and urad dal together for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Grind this into smooth batter.
- The batter should not be too thick or too thin.
- Just like dosa batter consistency.
- Then add little salt and mix well and keep it aside.
- If you have fresh dosa batter you can use that too.
- Clean and wash the channa dal.
- Add water and pressure cook until dal is soft.
- Drain excess water and mash it nicely with hands or in blender.
- Add jaggery to this dal and cook until the mixture becomes little hard.
- Then add grated coconut or coconut pieces and cardamom powder to the mixture and allow it to cool to handle with hands.
- Make lemon size balls from this mixture.
- Dip the balls in the batter and deep fry them in hot oil until they turn into brown.
- Drain them out to a paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
Other variants / Cuisine Style : Purnallu with maida batter. Purnallu with sooji halwa filling , Purnallu with filling made out of moong dal instead of channa dal.
No comments yet.