Pumpkin with Mustard Seeds (Auriya Kadoo) (कद्दू सरसों) recipe is from the Northern state of Himachal Pradesh in India and is part of our Pahari food. This curry is pungent and spicy that go together to make this delicious dish.
Regional Dish: Himachal Pradesh
Cuisine Style: Pahari | Cooking Time 30 mins | Take it with rice/ roti | Type Curry| Shelf Life: 1 day| Quantity: 4 Servings.
Appx. Nutritional values calculated for 1 serving:
Calories (40Kcal), Carbohydrates (12g), Protein (1g), Fat (2g)
- 8 cups chopped yellow pumpkin/ squash
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon panch phorun (combination of 5 whole spices – available at any Indian store)
- Pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2-3 whole chili
- 1 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhaniya)
- 1 teaspoon amchur (dry mango powder)
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- Grind together:30 grams black mustard seeds (rai) and3 tablespoons water
- Heat mustard oil.
- Add the panch phorun and asofetida.
- Add 2-3 whole chili and fry.
- Add the chopped pumpkin and mix well.
- Cook for about 15 minutes until the pumpkin is soft.
- Add turmeric and salt to taste.
- Cook for a few minutes and then add the dry mango powder.
- Mash the pumpkin and take off the heat.
- Let the pumpkin dish cool.
- Add the ground mustard mixture and mix well.
- Serve warmed.